Wildlife Conservation Society – Laos Program
Program Officer – Law Enforcement and Biodiversity Monitoring
Type: Full Time
Job Purpose Summary: The primary purpose of this position is to coordinate the implementation of all works related to Law Enforcement and Biodiversity Monitoring undertaken by the IEWMP and WCS in Bolikhamxay. In conjunction with WCS and government staff the program Office Law Enforcement & Biodiversity will assist with the development of program activities and lead on the implementation of these activities with government and communities.
This includes all Law Enforcement at all current IEWMP sites;
- Phou Si Thone ESCA (Xaychamphone District),
- Nam Kading NPA
- as well as other developing sites.
- Develop and maintain detailed knowledge of WCS’s strategic position in Bolikhamxay.
- Review all previous significant WCS and IEWMP reports and strategies related to law enforcement and Biodiversity Monitoring at sites mentioned above.
- Develop a working knowledge of ‘on the ground’ enforcement operations in the sites mentioned above.
- Assist the Program Manager, WCS Senior Technical Advisor, and government staff with the development of Law Enforcement & Biodiversity Monitoring concepts and plans
- With the assigned government law enforcement coordinator lead the coordination of day to day law enforcement operations and Biodiversity monitoring
- Participate in regular field visits, to be determined by the STA and IEWMP Management Team, to review ongoing law enforcement activities and address issues in the field.
- Develop Biodiversity Monitoring system of IEWMP based on projects’ requirements and grants.
- Improve and build capacity of community based patrols skills in biodiversity monitoring
- Collect and analyze biodiversity-monitoring data for the relevant Protected Areas.
- With the Information Systems Officer ensure that all data for patrolling operations is received on a monthly basis, entered into SMART, and reported accordingly to the IEWMP management team.
- Attend all program meetings related to law enforcement activities, particularly monthly reporting by enforcement teams for each site.
- Training of government and community members to implement activities as needed
- With the Program Manager assist with managing and monitoring the assigned budgets for Law Enforcement activities.
- Ensure adequate reporting is completed for Law Enforcement activities, both in Lao and English.
- Contribute to reports developed for donors and government
- As requested assist with the development of WCS proposals relevant to the Bolikhamxay landscape
- Any other duties as determined by the WCS Country Program Directors of WCS Program Manager for IEWMP.
- Assist the STA and related staff with the development and implementation of ranger training courses and activities.
- Assist the Program Manager, WCS Senior Technical Advisor, and government staff with the implementation of initiatives aimed at ensuring close community engagement around enforcement related issues.
Minimum of Bachelor degree in an environment/conservation related field
Working knowledge of general conservation principles
Knowledge of conservation and natural resource management issues in Lao PDR
Knowledge of policy and government institutional context in Lao PDR
Knowledge of Lao laws related to conservation, forestry management, and wildlife and how they are applied on the ground in protected areas.
At least 2 years experience working with international NGO’s or the private sector
At least 2 years experience working in protected area management and conservation in Lao PDR
Experience working with rural communities
Previous experience using SMART equating to working knowledge of the systems for law enforcement monitoring
- General skills
Excellent Lao language skills both written and verbal
Good English language skills and the ability to produce draft reports in English
Computer literacy, particularly proficiency using Microsoft Office products
Basic GIS skills
Ability to work as part of a developing team
Ability to learn quickly and adaptively manage activities
Ability to administer component and activity level budgets
Ability to conduct training sessions
Ability to use GPS and collect mapping information in the field
- Personal qualities
Deadline : Apr 2nd 2018
Province : Bolikhamxay Province
Contact Name : Palina Souliyadeth
Telephone : (021) 215400
Contact Email : email@example.com