TITLE: Sr. Technical Advisor
REPORTS TO: Project Director
LOCATION: Vientiane, Laos
About FHI 360:
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, and technology—creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Senior Technical Advisor.
FHI 360 seeks a Senior Technical Advisor for an anticipated The Fleming Fund Country Grant for Laos—Tackling Antimicrobial Resistance in Laos. The Country Grant will address critical gaps in surveillance of antibiotic resistant bacteria in Laos. This grant will support implementation of national plans for antimicrobial resistance (AMR) surveillance, and will focus on selected number of AMR surveillance sites. We will work closely with local entities that are already involved in AMR surveillance, AMR/AMU oversight and improvement activities, local and national Technical Working Groups and national and regional reference laboratories for human and animal health, participating AMR/AMU surveillance sites, and other government and national and international non-government stakeholders, and UN agencies as well as Mott MacDonald, The Fleming Fund Management Agent.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
The Senior Technical Advisor will utilize his/her technical capabilities in public health program management, infectious disease epidemiology and/or surveillance to help the project to plan, implement, monitor and evaluate AMR/AMU resistance surveillance, identify gaps in capacity for AMR, and to improve policies, strategies, plans and systems for infection prevention and control. The position is expected to develop collaborative relationships with other project staff, interact with internal and external clients and partners, and bring innovative ideas, methodologies and approaches to problems associated with AMR and infectious disease surveillance and response in the global setting. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Serve as technical lead on implementation of activities to strengthen and improve management and quality of services, which includes coordinating for high level coordination and representation of the with key stakeholders, donor and other partners
- Serve as the Team Leader for developing and implementing the project activities as per timeline, donor and the management agent requirements
- Serve as contact person for FHI 360 Laos management, national leaders, the Fund Management and other government and non-governmental stakeholders
- Program design during inception phase, working closely with national leaders, human and animal laboratories, and human and animal health representatives of the National Government
- Oversight and accountability of the program activities, budget, and finances and administration
- Lead development of periodic work plans, monitoring plans and progress report for timely submission to and approval
- Provide technical assistance to make functional national oversight AMR committee and to establish and make functional One Health and AMR/AMU TWG. Provide support to conduct and participate in TWG meetings and share finding and recommendations from the surveillance.
- Lead the process to prepare and submit AMR/AMU-related data and report as per the national, regional and global standard and requirements
- Provide technical assistance to provide evidence-based recommendations for further AMR/AMU surveillance and for AMU-related policies, strategies and plan
- Lead, manage and coordinate for planning, implementing, monitoring activities for strengthening AMR/AMU surveillance in humans and animals
- Lead, manage and supervise the project team: Senior Technical Specialist-Human Health, Senior Technical-Animal Health and Senior Specialist-Surveillance and M&E
The suitable expert will be a senior public health professional with at least 10- 15 years’ experience in one or a combination of the following areas: laboratory diagnosis of AMR, AMR/AMU surveillance management of microbiology laboratory, external quality assurance of data, disease surveillance within low and middle-income countries, health system strengthening in low and middle-income countries or public health. Experience working in a senior position of a major international development project is desirable. Experience working with government particularly Ministry of Health and international non-governmental organizations, or bi- and multi-lateral agencies or UN agencies is a clear advantage. In addition, the following knowledge and skills are required:
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with government, and national and international non-government stakeholders, and UN agencies.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in an IT environment.
- Strong coordination, communication, and interpersonal aptitudes
- Fluency in English
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the ethical issues surrounding research and surveillance
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
How to Apply:
Deadline : Mar 31st 2018
Province : Vientiane Municipality