Comité de Coopération avec le Laos (CCL) is a non-governmental organisation working in Lao PDR for 37 years in the following key development sectors : health, rural development and education. CCL is seeking a highly skilled and motivated person for the position of Lao/English Translator (Lao National) for the Support to Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries Project on the Nakai Plateau in Khammouan Province
The objective of the project is to contribute to the sustainability of Nakai’s peoples income derived from agriculture and livestock activities. It also aims to empower the populations displaced after the construction of the Nam Theun 2 dam to enhance their self-reliance and the sustainability of their livelihoods.
The project will focus on two objectives:
- Support to the development of agricultural, livestock and fisheries activities by providing technical and institutional support to interested producers in order to remove production and marketing constraints;
- Strengthen the district’s staff capacity to support technically and institutionally long-term agricultural and fishing activities.
It is organized into 5 components:
Component 1: Development and reallocation of land. The project will carry out an analysis of the agricultural potential of the resettlement land and will define, on a participatory basis and in coordination with local authorities, land use plans which shall provide land tenure security, avoid conflict management, favour agricultural production and articulate, where necessary, with forestry issues.
Component 2: Support to agriculture and livestock. In order to ensure or restore soil fertility and increase yields, the project will support the dissemination of agro-ecological practices and the development of small-scale livestock farming, and will work on the development of value chains.
Component 3: Development of irrigation. The project, after a diagnosis of the existing irrigation infrastructures, will finance the construction and rehabilitation of small infrastructures and the dissemination of techniques for improving water management.
Component 4: Fisheries management. Fishing is an important source of income for households, especially in the northern area where land availability is low. The project will contribute to improving the value of catches (processing, marketing) and the involvement of the fishermen’s association in the sustainable management of the resource. He will ensure the coordination with the team in charge of the management of the reservoir and the protected area.
Component 5: Capacity building and capitalization. The project will create spaces for dialogue bringing together all the actors (producers, government departments) to exchanging views and define priority orientations. A capacity building process will be implemented. The District Technical Services, in particular the DAFO (District Agricultural and Forestry Office), will be directly involved in the implementation of project activities for producers / fishermen and village committees. They will benefit from training on the innovative approaches promoted by the project.
- The translator will be responsible will support the team by providing written translation and oral interpretation of internal and external communications.
- Provide consecutive interpretation English/Lao or Lao/English for conversations among project team and with other stakeholders (Lao authorities, NTPC, AFD, external missions…)
- Provide interpretation services when needed in training, meetings and other activities.
- Translate documents relating to project activities. Write letters and official documents in English and/or Lao. Provide other administrative support as requested.
Qualifications & experiences:
- Bachelor degree in English or other degree with extensive experience in translation
- At least ten years of relevant professional experience, including in an international organization (ideally in an INGO environment).
- Strong experience in oral and written translation in rural development projects.
- Knowledge of specific vocabulary related with agriculture, land, livestock and Fisheries
Technical skill and competence:
- Excellent English language communication skills (both oral and written).
- Ability to understand and speak French is an advantage.
- Software proficiency with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint and internet applications.
- Ability to work in partnership with local authorities, international and lao partners.
- Capacity to deal with many different issues, to self- update and learn very quickly from a highly and constantly evolving environment
- Experience of establishing strong working relationships with colleagues and partners from different functions and cultures.
- Knowledge about and understanding of development related activities.
- Car or motorcycle driving license
- Diplomacy and strong communication skills.
- Autonomy and ability to work in a team and with different partners.
- Very well organized.
- Abilities to learn and adapt new skills.
- Patience, resilience and flexibility.
- Good problem solving skills in day to day situations.
- An understanding of and commitment to CCL’s mission and values.
- Duration: 29 months
- Desired start date: 01/04/2018
How to apply:
Candidates should send per email a letter of interest and their CV by 25/03/2018 to the CCL Director, Mrs. Manivone Vorachak, firstname.lastname@example.org and Mr. Frédéric BAZIN, Technical Assistant (NP-LAF Project), email@example.com
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview