Senior Project Manager (Health)
Salary package starting from 13,107,221-13,795,350 kip and other secondary benefits
CARE Laos is looking to recruit qualified and motivated Lao national for the following:
The overall purpose of this position, Senior Project Manager is to lead the Sekong provincial office located in Dak Cheung district to ensure the REW Program and projects and its program support is complaint. This position is required to direct manage CARE’s health (SRH and Nutrition) projects in Sekong and as the senior manager have an oversight of the agricultural and women economic empowerment projects managed by another project manager. The senior project manager is responsible for project(s) implementation in line with contracting proposal, donor regulations, GoL regulations, CARE policy and procedures.
The Senior Project Manager is responsible to directly supervise and manage his /her project team members; supervise the other PM(s) and shared support staff. The Senior Project Manager will lead Provincial Government liaisons, report on progress, challenges and impacts of CARE work. The Senior Project Manager is responsible for Program Quality of the projects, for project and shared office budgets and narrative reporting to GOL and donor.
This position is based in Dak Cheung with frequent travel to other Sekong districts and on occasion to Vientiane.
Strategy and Leadership:
· Work closely with the REW Coordinator to support the development and review REW Program strategy;
· Ensure CARE Lao’s long term program strategy has a strong focus on gender equality and women’s empowerment through actively contributing to strategy development;
· Demonstrate a passion for gender equality, women’s empowerment and a commitment to CARE’s approach and values including ethnic diversity and cultural sensitivity;
· Lead on capacity strengthen colleagues understanding of CARE, REW Program and Gender Equality;
Program Development and Mangement
· Contribute to the development of REW program when required;
· Understand and apply GOL, donor and CARE policy and procedure requirements ;
· Manage the project to donor reporting level including narrative and financial reports;
· Continually review project objectives and outcomes and monitor activities and outputs to ensure project quality and meeting donor and CARE REW Program goals;
· Seek project amendments where required and discuss adjustments with the REW Program Coordinator, Technical Advisors from PQ and the Gender Unit;
· Provide strong leadership and empower staff to fulfil required tasks in the project;
· Effectively deal with problems and disputes with a pro-active management style making decisions in order to avert problems.
Project Implementation AND QUALITY ASSURANCE
· Lead the project team in the project implementation ensuring that team carry out their duties in accordance with work plan and agreed methodology;
· Responsible to develop weekly and monthly work plans ensuring that work plan and activities implementation is in line with the project Log frame and project objectives;
· Provide technical inputs for project and activity design, implementation, and monitoring;
· Lead field assessments and implementation of project activities;
· Conduct and supervise project monitoring activities;
· Through regular project monitoring, identify any variances from the project proposal or challenges and provide solutions/options to address these variances and challenges;
· Support the implementation of Baseline, Mid-term, Final and other evaluation activities;
· Ensure the efficient and proper use of project funds in line with the approved budget and in compliance with CARE’s finance manual and donor guidelines;
· Track and manage project expenditure through regular review of budget versus actual (BVAs), and contribute to costed work plans;
· Prepare cost work-plans on quarterly basis for direct project (s) and check other project CWP managed by second Project Manager;
· Understand exchange rates and how they affect the budget and amend accordingly;
· Timely preparation of project advance and clearance; in accordance with CARE finance policies and procedures andensure project staff manage any cash advances in line with financial management procedures;
· Prepare yearly procurement plans and update regularly.
· Manage the work of direct reports under the project(s) support the other Project Manager/s in Sekong province , including leading effective team work and relationships and ensuring regular team meetings and communications to the team;
· Ensure all direct reports have clear work plans and a strong understanding of their role and contribution to project goals and the deliverables;
· Directly supervise team members including providing advice and guidance, managing performance, effective administration of leave, budget and other approvals, and preparing annual planning and performance appraisals; and provide induction process for new staff.
COMMUNICATION AND REPORTING
· Represent CARE at the Provincial level (and District level as required), in coordination with the REW Program Coordinator, ACDP and CD in Vientiane;
· Responsible for project reporting including:
– prepare accurate monthly report and donor reports in a timely manner to Program Coordinator as well as provide oral and written reports on progress of the activities —as requested;
– Regularly inform Program Coordinator on the activities, problems faced during the
implementation and work closely to address problems that may arise;
– Share accurate information and update during weekly/monthly meetings and other relevant meeting;
· Ensure that data records, documents/forms used in soft copy and hard copies are filled properly and timely by the team;
· Develop lessons learned and best practices to improve projects performance and quality;
· Prepare human interest stories as requested by Communications Team;
PARTNERSHIP AND NETWORKING
· Lead CARE liaison with government counterparts for the whole program in Sekong;
· Coordinate and participate in provincial program’s related forums, workshops, government meetings, or other events as required especially in health;
· Provide clear explanations of the project(s) and CARE’s work in Laos to partners, government agencies and other relevant stakeholders;
· Provide support to the partners through mentoring and on-the-job training including the explanation of CARE Laos policies and procedures;
MONITORING AND EVALUATION
· Ensure effective monitoring and evaluation of projects in line with project plans and CARE and donor requirements, ensuring beneficiary accountability;
· Plan and facilitate external reviews of projects and implement recommendations;
· With the Finance Director, facilitate financial reviews and audits as required.
· To proactively manage the Annual Planning and Performance Appraisal (APPA) process including the annual appraisal, midyear review and regular 1:1 meetings, ensuring that the APPA process (including the paperwork) is an integral component of Annual Work Plans and activities;
· Engage in emergency preparedness, assist in any emergency response as required;
· Promote a safe and secure work environment; foster a culture of safety and security awareness and ensure compliance with the safety and security policies, procedures;
· Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to gender equality, diversity and child protection and Protection from Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse (PSHEA);
· Comply with CARE Lao’s financial and operational requirements, foster strong communication between operations and programs teams and uphold high standards of honesty and integrity in personal conduct.
· Minimum Bachelor’s degree in health, development studies/social development or related fields and/ or a minimum 6 years relevant work experience;
· Preferably in minimum 8 years relevant work experience, in health project management within development and/or humanitarian relief with an International Non-Government Organisation (INGO) or similar organisation;
· Proven experience to provide health and project management for project (s) implementation in a rural geographic area;
· Proven specialised technical skills in reading complex texts and adapt project strategies and approaches;
· Strong facilitation, analytical and strategic skills;
· Demonstrated high level organisational, financial and time management skills, including the ability to plan and manage workflows and balance competing priorities to ensure timely processing to meet deadlines in a complex environment;
· Proven ability to design budgets, costed workplans and successfully track, spend and justify to CARE, GoL and donors;
· Proven ability to write donor level reports including situation analysis. progress against activities, analysis and impact;
· Demonstrated understanding of gender equality and a commitment to CARE’s approach and values including ethnic diversity and cultural sensitivity;
· Proven understanding of working with an International Non-Government Organisation (INGO) and a willingness to learn about CARE, gender equality and women’s empowerment activities;
· Demonstrated strong leadership, decision making, problem solving, planning, analytical and influencing skills;
· Proven ability to foster commitment to pursue a clear and compelling vision, stimulating high performance;
· Demonstrated experience in effectively leading, people management and motivating a team;
· Demonstrated characteristics in honesty, reliability, trustworthiness with the ability to maintain confidentiality;
· Representational skills including developing networks and relationships with key stakeholders;
· Fluent oral and written communication skills in both Lao and English; and
· Fully conversant in Microsoft Office with knowledge in Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel.
The detailed Job Description could be provided upon request. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. CVs and other documents submitted to CARE will not be returned.
Qualified candidates should submit a CV and a letter of application to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline: 17th March 2019
CARE is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce;
That Women, ethnic minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply;
CARE Laos has zero tolerance for sexual misconduct within or external to the organisation and imbed child protection in all they do; and
As well as pre-employment checks, CARE Laos will use the recruitment and reference process to ensure potential new staff understand and are aligned with these expectations.